Since I’ve started writing this blog, I’ve noticed I’m getting REALLY good REALLY quickly at dishing out advice and orders. But how good am I at listening to others’ advice and orders, or even my own?
Well, I’m self-employed these days – so that probably answers the one about orders; I take ‘em from nobody except myself 😉
And the advice? Well, I generally do try to practice what I preach. But in the last week or so I’ve noticed I’ve started to slip in a few areas. Since one of the main reasons for starting this blog was to make myself accountable, I feel like ‘fessing up to a few things. Hopefully I’ll shame myself into action (or in the investing case – inaction)!
So, here goes.. In the last 10 days I have…
1) Done resistance exercise only ONCE (it should be 3 times in this period)
2) Been running a grand total of 0 (ZERO!) times (I should have been once or twice really)
3) Caught myself researching funds that AREN’T INDEX TRACKERS! OH THE SHAME!! 😉
4) Considered buying a motorbike (not instead of the car, but as well as the car)
5) Looked at long haul flights to take a decent break over the other side of the world
Stop, stop, that’s quite enough! Ok, so nothing really serious – we’ve still been socking the savings away, living under budget etc. – but you gotta nip these things in the bud early, or else! This time next year I could find myself still sitting at this desk, 2 stone overweight and invested in the latest Neil Woodford fund.
Better get back to it!
PS – As there always are, there are “reasons” for the things in my list having happened (or not). But since “reasons” is just another word for “excuses” I’m not even going to go there. There’s always a way to squeeze in some exercise, as Mrs JAL has shown in the last couple of weeks. She’s put me to shame!